Re: Recruiting More People

Tue, 1 Apr 1997 09:23:47 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 31 Mar 1997, C Matthew Curtin wrote:

> Justin: you mentioned something about text from a recent CFV. Could
> you give me a pointer? (I can't figure out what you're talking about,
> and I'm unsure whether that's due to not ever seeing it or sleep
> deprivation :-)

Hmmm... Likely a combination of both. :-) Here is is anyway:

Subject: Help break RSA's DES Crypto Challenge!

A Call for Participation
------------------------

1) What's it all about?

We're working on breaking the DES challenge issued by RSA Labs on
Janurary 28th, 1997. Two of the other challenges, based on the RC5
algorithm with 40 and 48 bit keys, have already been broken. Especially in
the 48bit RC5 challenge, a large number of Internet users contributed CPU
cycles for a brute force keyspace attack. By the end of the 48 bit RC5
challenge, over 3500 hosts had helped by donating CPU time to acheive a
peak key-testing rate of over 1.5 trilion keys/hour. We'd like for some of
those hosts (and others!) to help out with the DES challenge.
A $10,000 prize will be awarded by RSA Labs for those who crack the
challenges first.

2) How can I help?

First, feel free to redistribute this CFP to anyone else who you think
may be interested in participating. Especially those with alot of CPU
power. :-)

If you've got a networked computer somewhere, you can help directly!
Clients are currently available for Intel processors (486, Pentium, and
PentiumPro) running Windows, OS/2, Linux, FreeBSD, and BSDI. Non-Intel
clients are available for PowerPC (Mac) Linux, Sun Sparc, and HP PA-RISC.
The Intel versions are all using hand-optimized assembly code. Assembly
tuned versions for the Sparc and PA-RISC versions should be available in
the near future -- stay tuned!

The only restriction is that clients can only be given to residents of
the US or Canada, due to US export restrictions. [Others may still be able
to participate; rumor has it that someone has redistributed the clients
outside the US, but I don't know the location.]

To get the clients, visit the DESCHALL Info page (see below) for
instructions. It's simple and painless process. You just need to download
and execute the clients -- no further work on your part is required! You
can visit the statistics page to see the progress of the whole group, and
your clients.

If you have a multiple number of Unix systems you'd like to use, I've
written a few scripts to help make life simple (read: automated). Contact
me directly for further info.

3) Where can I get more info?

* DESCHALL Info page: <URL:http://www.frii.com/~rcv/deschall.htm>
* RSA Lab's Challenge: <URL:http://www.rsa.com/rsalabs/97challenge/>