Re: Legal advice on crypto export, two other things

Anil Das (das@razor.engr.sgi.com)
Wed, 2 Apr 1997 23:30:25 -0800

On Apr 3, 1:09am, C Matthew Curtin wrote:
> Subject: Legal advice on crypto export, two other things
> Hi,
>
> I've got some friend-of-a-friend things going on to get some
> information about US crypto export law, and its applicability to our
> project.

If you are talking about exporting the client portion of
deschall to get worldwide participation.

a) I've heard that it has already been pirated abroad.

b) As I said on cypherpunks some time back, it is
arguable whether the deschall client is "encryption software".
It doesn't allow anybody to encrypt their data files or communication
lines. The correct thing to do is to ask the BXA for a commodity
jurisdiction advisory to clarify whether the deschall client
needs a license to export. How to apply for a CJ is detailed
in the EAR.

c) It is obvious, at least to me, that the deschall client
is a research tool and not commercial software. As such the
EAR doesn't prohibit providing the source code to somebody in Europe
in paper form. If Rocke is willing to do this with an European
reasearch associate, under a non-disclosure agreement, it is
again advisable to get a commodity jurisdiction decision
from the BXA first.

Best of luck.

--
Anil Das