Re: random question...

Karl J. Runge (runge@redhook.llnl.gov)
Thu, 10 Apr 97 02:46:06 PDT

On Wed, 9 Apr 1997, "M. Heroux" <mheroux@u.washington.edu> wrote:

> This may have quite a basic answer.. but why doesnt somebody write a
> client in Java? That way anybody (theoretically) could run it.
>
> Does the java spec not allow for this type of communication?

It might work, but each client would be very slow. Maybe 100+ times
slower is my guess. (no assembler in java & java is slow in general)

Also might be hard to keep the priority low, JVM might hog the CPU.

Reasonable if you could get 100+ times more machines (running long times)
to make up the difference. Hard to guess which way it would go, boom
or bust since depends on psychological factors.

Best,

Karl

Karl J. Runge -- Linux: it's the Real thing -- runge@crl.com
-- http://www.crl.com/~runge
Zippy the Pinhead (is|was|will be) here. (510)-516-7127