Re: HP 9000 Problems

Jeff White (jwhite@ghq.com)
Thu, 10 Apr 1997 13:49:19 -0500 (CDT)

Stuart Stock Said:

> On Thu, 10 Apr 1997, Jeff White wrote:
>
> > I'm having problems getting the HP/9000 client to run on our
> > workstations. It doesn't actually seem to do anything. The
>
> Hmph, I found on our HP 9000's (two E35's, a F10 and a G50) the client
> is slow and very sensitive to system loads, but it does run. But have you
> been able to run the timings (deschall-hp9000 -m)? If you can run the
> timings it's probably your network. Do you have a firewall? And if so
> can you forward UDP packets through it? If you can tcpdump your net, take
> a look for UDP traffic on port 8669. If you're seeing ICMP host, port, or
> network unreachable, you're being blocked somewhere and it may not be
> making it back to your host.

I've been able to get two Linux machines, on the same subnet, to work
fine. We have a packet filter, but it's not in the way. I can also
ping the keyserver.

The program does run in timing mode:

[jjw@urd descrack]$ ./deschall-hp9000 -m
DES Challenge Solver
Copyright (c) Rocke Verser, 1986, 1997
All Rights Reserved.

***** FOR USE IN THE USA AND CANADA ONLY *****
.2^21 complementary pairs of keys tested: 5 seconds

[jjw@urd descrack]$ uname -a
HP-UX urd B.10.20 A 9000/780 2012988799 two-user license

Might be a problem with HP-UX 10.20 and IP socket code.

--
Jeff White, ARS N0POY			jwhite@ghq.com
"Have you ever had a microchip implanted in your skull so the government