Re: New to Linux---help!!

Ben Ginter (bginter@abilnet.com)
Thu, 10 Apr 1997 18:30:58 -0700

I'm running RedHat linux 4.0 (outlawlabs.com) and found it very simple to
get up and running. Here's my Howto! :)

1. Copy file to Linux filesystem
2. chmod 744 deschall-linux-486 (insert flavor here)
2a. If you don't have . in your path, you can edit your .profile or
.bash_profile (or your flavor shell profile here) to include the path.
Remember, they are separated by colons (not semi-colons as in DOS/Windows).
Definately add it at the end. Do not edit /etc/profile or your root
account's (or any other account with root privledges) profile or you're
opening up some security problems.
3. If you have the period in the path (.=current directory), type just
type:
deschall-linux-486 keymaster.verser.frii.com
otherwise
./deschall-linux-486 keymaster.verser.frii.com

I'm not piping the output to a file but I know a lot of other people are.
Even if you fork it into the background with an ampersand on the command
line, you're still going to see the output (which can be annoying). To
pipe the output (which can be searched and useful later), you would type
either:

deschall-linux-486 keymaster.verser.frii.com > des.log &

or
./deschall-linux-486 keymaster.verser.frii.com > des.log &

Note that you will still see Selftest Passed (doesn't get logged for some
reason.. hmm). Also note that if you stop the program and restart it and
want to continue adding (appending) to the log, you need to change the
command line to either:

deschall-linux-486 keymaster.verser.frii.com >> des.log &
or
./deschall-linux-486 keymaster.verser.frii.com >> des.log &

(Remember, these examples are for the 486 client.. if you use the pentium
client simply change the command line accordingly)

Hope this helps some of the linux people out there who are just
learning...

gk@outlawlabs.com

----