Re: How to nicely quit?

Fri, 11 Apr 1997 00:00:44 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 10 Apr 1997, Michael J Gebis wrote:

> Is there any way to "nicely" quit deschall? What I have in mind is a
> way to tell deschall "Finish the current range, but when you finish,
> don't request any new range--just quit."

Currently, there's no "nice" way to quit it. Killing the program before
it's done with a block only results in the loss of the work partially done
on the block.

I agree that it would be a nice feature to have, but do people really
need it? I run my clients 24/7, except for a 30 minute block while I
collect statistics. Unless you're constantly starting and stopping the
client, it shouldn't be a big deal.

> If not, it would be a nice feature. The way _I_ would do it would be
> to use a signal (SIGALRM?) to tell the client to finish nicely.

Exactly what I was thinking. Maybe it'll show up in a later version of
the clients... :-)

(dolske@cis.ohio-state.edu)
| SPAM glistens pinkly;
Spam Haiku... | Cat taps it with wary paw