Re: your mail

Ronald Van Iwaarden (rrt0136@ibm.net)
Tue, 15 Apr 1997 16:05:31 -0400

In article <199704151919.PAA24204@goffette.research.megasoft.com>, you wrote:

>Fred> For those of us running Cyrix/IBM 6x86 W95 boxes, is the Intel
>Fred> optimized code the best option?
>
>Run each of the clients with -m to find out (like the README.TXT says :-)
>
>deschal4 -m
>deschal5 -m
>deschal6 -m

I have a Cyrix/IBM 6x86 OS/2 box and none of the Intel optimized code
versions work especially well and I am curious as to whether a generic
optimized version might work better on the Cyrix platform. As far as I can
tell, my Cyrix P150+ (120mhz) performs on the same level as an Intel P60 or
a 486/100. This is terrible performance for the Cyrix which usually
performs at the same speed as an Intel P150 unless intense FP is used.

The tests:

[D:\apps\deschal]sp t32 deschal4 -m
DosSetPrty() rc=304
SP: running deschal4, time critical priority, delta 32
DES Challenge Solver
Copyright (c) Rocke Verser, 1986, 1997
All Rights Reserved.

***** FOR USE IN THE USA AND CANADA ONLY *****
*************** NOT FOR EXPORT ***************
.2^21 complementary pairs of keys tested: 9 seconds

[D:\apps\deschal]sp t32 deschal5 -m
DosSetPrty() rc=304
SP: running deschal5, time critical priority, delta 32
DES Challenge Solver
Copyright (c) Rocke Verser, 1986, 1997
All Rights Reserved.

***** FOR USE IN THE USA AND CANADA ONLY *****
*************** NOT FOR EXPORT ***************
.2^21 complementary pairs of keys tested: 9 seconds

[D:\apps\deschal]sp t32 deschal6 -m
DosSetPrty() rc=304
SP: running deschal6, time critical priority, delta 32
DES Challenge Solver
Copyright (c) Rocke Verser, 1986, 1997
All Rights Reserved.

***** FOR USE IN THE USA AND CANADA ONLY *****
.2^21 complementary pairs of keys tested: 10 seconds

o Ronald Van Iwaarden | Work to live;
/\ Hope College | Live to bike;
_`\ `_<=== Holland MI 49423 | Bike to work!
__(_)/_(_)___.-._ voice : (616)355-7120 | http://www.cs.hope.edu/~rvaniwaa/