Re: your mail

Andrew James Alan Welty (andrew@chatlink.com)
Tue, 15 Apr 1997 18:12:54 -0400

> From: rrt0136@ibm.net (Ronald Van Iwaarden)

> I am curious as to whether a generic
> optimized version might work better on the Cyrix platform.

Ron and other Cyrix users:

===
The "P5" version is optimized to make maximum use of the dual
instruction pipes. This code is so highly honed that it is executing
about 375 machine instructions in 200 clock cycles.

I don't know the architecture of the various Cyrix chips. If they
have a single instruction queue, you should expect performance no
better than about half of a Pentium of the same speed.

If it is highly subject to "stalls", or if they are especially costly,
you should expect even less.

Someone else has stated on this list that a Cyrix 586 is really a
486-class processor. I don't know.
===

The Cyrix 686 has two seven stage integer pipelines. Not sure about
the stalls.

Any plans for a Cyrix/IBM 686 optimized version?

Anyway I said AMD 586 was a 486DX class processor.