Re: screen saver

Me (sturm@fatz.dorm.umd.edu)
Wed, 16 Apr 1997 15:04:33 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 16 Apr 1997, Tim Newsome wrote:

> I'm not a windows hacker at all, but I think this is one thing that could get
> us a *lot* more clients. Make a W95 screen saver that'll crack keys. Because
> W95 multitasking sucks so bad, most people will not want to have the client
> run at all times. Also, it's annoying to have to start it up every time you're
> going to be away for while. A screen saver would solve these problems by only
> running when the machine is idle anyway. Somebody should put together a cute
> animation which can be replayed at one frame every 2^20 keys, or maybe even
> more. I don't think a screen saver is much more than a DLL windows loads when
> the box has been idle for a while, so this shouldn't be too hard. Anybody
> willing to try this?

Not bad, but I was running deschall, and the screensaver kicked
in, it went from 2^29 in 2400s to 2^28 in 3500s. Not to mention, the
animation would probably slow it down, just have it show the results in a
full screen, or even just make it a blank screen. But thier is a
problem, say hypothetically that deschall is just about to find the key,
and you move the mouse, or something like that, boom, deschal will then
shut down. IMHO that would suck. Oh well.