Re: Illinois and compilations

C Matthew Curtin (cmcurtin@research.megasoft.com)
Fri, 18 Apr 1997 09:43:05 -0400 (EDT)

Dan> Yow! Congrats to UIUC and il.us! Speaking of which, what *is*
Dan> il.us?

Illinois.

Dan> I know va.us represents (mostly) the Blacksburg

Nope, va.us is Virginia.

See RFC 1480, "The US Domain" for details on what things are inside of
us.

http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/htbin/rfc/rfc1480.html

Dan> On another note entirely, has anyone looked into what happens
Dan> when you compile the non-x86 client with gcc -O6? Having one
Dan> Alpha that can only do 0.2 MKps, I'm definitely interested.

We're more interested in hand-optimized assembler. That's where the
real performance gain is going to happen: taking advantage of each
processor's strengths, avoiding its weaknesses, and such, by honing
the low-level code by hand.

--
Matt Curtin  Chief Scientist  Megasoft, Inc.  cmcurtin@research.megasoft.com
http://www.research.megasoft.com/people/cmcurtin/    I speak only for myself