Re: Illinois and compilations

Christopher Dickens (cdickens@ntr.net)
Fri, 18 Apr 1997 13:23:21 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 18 Apr 1997, Dan Calle wrote:

> On another note entirely, has anyone looked into what happens when you
> compile the non-x86 client with gcc -O6? Having one Alpha that can only do
> 0.2 MKps, I'm definitely interested. Alternatively, you can use cc with
> about a dozen command-line options to tweak the compilation, but I figured
> it'd be easier to try it with gcc and one option. :-)

I personally would like to see a IRIX 6.3 / R5000 specific compile! On a
real IRIX system running MIPSpro compiler, one should use:

CFLAGS = -O2 -o32

This makes OPTIMAL use of the 32/64 bit nature of the R5000 processor in
the MANY SGI O2 machines being fired up out there. I have a Pentium 133
which is pushing out about twice as many cycles as this machine. On
compilations of POV-RAY on both machines, I'm getting that the O2 is about
30% faster in computations which sounds right.

CRACK DES NOW!!! http://www.frii.com/~rcv/deschall.htm
Christopher Dickens - cdickens@ntr.net - SGI O2 Powered!!!
<http://www.ntr.net/~cdickens>
Copyright (c) 1997 by Christopher Dickens. All Rights Reserved.

NOTE: Everything disclosed is the sole opinion of Christopher Dickens
and in no way reflects the views or opinions, either in whole
or part, of NTR.NET Corporation or any of it's affiliates.