Re: desmonitor 0.8 available for beta test

Howard Cheng (hcheng@cs.ualberta.ca)
Sat, 19 Apr 1997 10:56:31 -0600 (MDT)

Lee Sonko wrote:

> Limited Beta release notice of DESMONITOR 0.8:
>
> I've written a daemon that intelligently kills DESCHALL if your computer
> is needed for other tasks. It uses "top" to see if other programs are taking
> up system resources. If they cross a certain threshold of cpu usage,
> DESCHALL is killed. The system waits for a time, then the system waits until
> the machine is below the threshold for a certain amount of time, upon
> which it restarts DESCHALL.

Would it be better if you use suspend instead of kill? This way, you
wouldn't lose the work you have done on the last block. This can be
a problem if the frequency between busy and idle is relatively high.

On the other hand, suspending the client may increase the time it takes
for the client to respond to the server, so that the key block may have
timed out. I wonder what happened when the server decided to time out
a block, but the client responded a bit after that?

Howard

--
Howard Cheng                     e-mail: hcheng@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca
University of Alberta                    hcheng@cs.ualberta.ca

I did not, however, commit suicide, because I wished to know more of mathematics. - Bertrand Russell