Re: [the mysterious empty subject line :-)]

Sun, 20 Apr 1997 18:46:33 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 20 Apr 1997, Andrew James Alan Welty wrote:

> 1) Limited to mickysoft windoze 95

Other operating systems are probably better able to deal with this. If
you're running on a Unix system, a shell/Perl script plus cron should do
the trick. OS/2 users can do the same with REXX. In fact, I would be
somewhat surprised if there isn't a dial-on-demand setup for dialup Unix
boxes.

> 2) Doesn't take into account those with more then one machine that
> dialin. Ok partially but what if the other machine tried to call
> in while the phone was in use?

Hmm. I don't know if this is a problem... If you've got multiple modems,
the dialing modems *should* notice there is no dial tone, and not dial.
Idealy, you should be able to set up your dialer to just retry after X
seconds. If you're sharing a modem with a serial switch, the modem just
won't seem to respond. Again, you ought to be able to make your dialer
just retry in a X seconds.

(dolske@cis.ohio-state.edu)
"Imagining it is complex. Using it is simple. Creating it is revolutionary."
-- Apple Computer HCI ad on the back of "Interactions"