RE: Recipes for automatically starting deschall (different OSes)

Corey Betka (betka@tvd0074.urh.uiuc.edu)
Sun, 20 Apr 1997 21:56:58 -0500 (CDT)

On Sun, 20 Apr 1997, Jensen Harris wrote:

> > >But that's a per-user thing, right?
> >
> > Unless you stick it in the All Users (or Common) startup group, then
> > everyone logging in would start the app.

> > >Is it possible to "rewrite it as a Service" simply by putting a
> > >batch-file wrapper on it?
> >
> > Not sure. I've always been under the impression that it needs to be
> > written as a .SYS file and be installed via an .INF program.
>
> No problems running it as a Service on NT. We have a number of NT Workstations
> running it like this.
>
> You need the SRVANY.EXE and INSTSRV.EXE tools from the NT Resource Kit (3.x or
> 4.0). Install SRVANY.EXE as a service with:
>
> INSTSRV Deschall SRVANY.EXE (full paths of course).
>
> Then add to the service registry entry (with REGEDIT or REGEDT32) a Parameters
> key under the service root.

This is fine, but have you checked the amount of process time it
gets? It seems to get really low priority, at least when I tested it....
As for getting SRVANY and INSTSRV, try searching at altavista for them ;-)
(Not everyone is fully legal in the world, I've needed it before...)

Corey

"Takes two to make three, but one ain't here
Still chasing women and drinking beer."
--"Welfare Music" by The Bottle Rockets