Recipes for automatically starting deschall (different OSes)

Jensen Harris (jensen.harris@yale.edu)
Mon, 21 Apr 1997 03:05:54 -0400

On Sunday, April 20, 1997 10:57 PM, Corey Betka
[SMTP:betka@tvd0074.urh.uiuc.edu] wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Apr 1997, Jensen Harris wrote:

> > > Unless you stick it in the All Users (or Common) startup group, then
> > > everyone logging in would start the app.

> > > Not sure. I've always been under the impression that it needs to be
> > > written as a .SYS file and be installed via an .INF program.
> >
> > No problems running it as a Service on NT.
> >
> > You need the SRVANY.EXE and INSTSRV.EXE tools from the NT Resource Kit (3.x
> > or
> > 4.0). Install SRVANY.EXE as a service with:
> >
> > INSTSRV Deschall SRVANY.EXE (full paths of course).
> >
> > Then add to the service registry entry (with REGEDIT or REGEDT32) a
> > Parameters
> > key under the service root.
> >
> This is fine, but have you checked the amount of process time it
> gets? It seems to get really low priority, at least when I tested it....
> As for getting SRVANY and INSTSRV, try searching at altavista for them ;-)
> (Not everyone is fully legal in the world, I've needed it before...)

The program is designed to get absolute lowest priority. That's the way the
DESCHALL client is designed--it has nothing to do with being run as a service.

Jensen