Re: Usenet newsgroup

Michael J Gebis (gebis@ecn.purdue.edu)
Tue, 22 Apr 1997 13:43:10 -0500 (EST)

You wrote:

> I wonder if this mailing list has gone beyond the scope of a
> mail list, and into the realm of a usenet newsgroup. Maybe
> we should have a newsgroup instead of a mail list. I get all
> of these emails throughout the course of the day, and I think
> that it would be easier to parse out the stuff that I want to
> read if I was subscribed to the newsgroup.

I don't know if this list is available in a digest form, but usually
that makes such a list easier to read. (A digest is a collection of
all the posts made in a day, sent to you as one big honking file)

Other arguments against a usenet group:

Compared to some others, this mailing list isn't that busy.
Newsgroups tend to get more spam.
The overall interest level in maling lists is usually higher, since
participants had to make a conscious effort to join.
The effort underway is transitory, and newsgroups are forever.
Flame wars in mailing lists tend to be a lot more subdued than flame
wars on USENET.
USENET propagation sucks in many parts of the world, including mine.
In some groups, I see less than 25% of the posted articles (I can
check for the missing ones via dejanews, but that's a pain.)

--
Mike Gebis  gebis@ecn.purdue.edu  mgebis@eternal.net