Re: Script web page

Wed, 23 Apr 1997 21:51:49 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 23 Apr 1997, Dan Calle wrote:

> I'm sure you have some reason for doing this, but I can't figure it out. If
> you're unsatisfied with a nice level of 10, nice it to the max (19 or 20,
> usually).

Unfortunately, many users and administrators don't see it that way. If a
user is running xload (or otherwise looks at the system load), it will be
1 point above normal. More often than not, this results in complaints that
someone is making their system slow. So, You and I know that the system is
no slower, but Joe Average user does not.
...and Mr. Charlie Root, in-the-know or not, usually does not have the
time to deal with hundreds of angry users complaining about people running
processes on their workstation. It's easiest to just tell people not to
run processes when others are logged in.

(dolske@cis.ohio-state.edu)
| SPAM glistens pinkly;
Spam Haiku... | Cat taps it with wary paw