Re: I've often wondered

Thu, 24 Apr 1997 01:05:05 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 24 Apr 1997, Daniel Berlin wrote:

> If the only illegal to export out of the US part is the client, and
> ignoring money for a second, why don't the SolNet DES team, and the
> DESCHALL people just have the keymasters communicate what keyspace is done?

One might instead ask why SolNet (and others) did not coordinate with
DESCHALL -- we've been underway for at least a couple weeks before the
others had started.

I think the real issue is the time it takes to do things. It takes time
to get a server up an running, clients developed and optimized, porting
across platforms, special configurations, etc. Adding in the ability for
the servers to communicate is extra overhead and extra time. It's a trap
that's easy to fall into -- the group that cracked 48bit RC5 spent weeks
planning an intricate model for client/server interaction, and never
produced a single client.

(dolske@cis.ohio-state.edu)
A computer scientist is someone who, when told to "Go to Hell," sees
the "go to," rather than the destination, as harmful.