Re: Okay so you do not compile perl :(

John P. Eisenmenger (jpe@cs.duke.edu)
Thu, 24 Apr 1997 13:27:19 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 24 Apr 1997, Karl J. Runge wrote:

> > Karl> NT does not have the equivalent of the Unix fork() command. This
> > Karl> is a shame because fork() is a very useful syscall. I guess the
> > Karl> NT designers figured people would always use sexier threads? Oh
> > Karl> well...
> >
> > NT sucks rocks.
>
> Agreed. ;-)
>
> > Isn't it supposed to be POSIX compliant? Or is NT's POSIX "support"
> > just as broken and useless as it was in 1993?
>
> I believe NT is only POSIX.0 compliant. E.g. you can't even talk to the
> filesystem. Linux, mostly thru volunteers donating time and money, got its
> POSIX.1 rating last year.

One possibility would be to use the POSIX library developed by David Korn.
It was the subject of a paper he presented at January's USENIX conference.
According to the proceedings it should be available at
http://www.research.att.com/sw/tools.

-John

Duke University Internet: jpe@cs.duke.edu
Department of Computer Science Phone: (919) 660-6576