64 bit DES (forwarded message from Matthew Kwan)

Nelson Minar (nelson@media.mit.edu)
Thu, 24 Apr 1997 13:56:02 -0400

------- start of forwarded message (RFC 934 encapsulation) -------
Sender: owner-coderpunks@toad.com
From: Matthew Kwan <mkwan@cs.mu.oz.au>
To: coderpunks@toad.com
Subject: Bitslice DES - I'm releasing the source
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 12:31:03 +1000

In case you missed this in sci.crypt ...

Due to the large number of requests for my bitslice DES implementation
for the RSA challenge, I have made the source code and documentation
available at

http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/~mkwan/bitslice

Please note that, at present, the source will only work on 64-bit
machines.

A 32-bit version will be available soon, but, as I keep telling people,
unless it runs on a RISC machine with lots of registers, it will be slower
than tradiational DES implementations. That means it is not suitable for
Intel machines. Sorry.

I am working on a modification to pre-compute the first round every 256
iterations, which should give another 5% speedup. But don't hold your
breath.

mkwan