Re: deschall on UNIX? Faster?

Thu, 24 Apr 1997 17:25:22 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 24 Apr 1997, Jim Bowden wrote:

> I've just installed the deschall program and am running it on a unix
> machine. Is there someway that I can tell it to utilize more of the
> machine's resources? It seems like it isn't using much system
> utilization.

Well, I suppose we could add in a special option for you that causes the
client to suck up memory and disk space, but I don't think we'll get
around to it. :-)

The only resource you need to worry about is the CPU usage. Nothing else
is needed. If it's not getting CPU time, it's probably because someone
else is running a process with a higher priority. DESCHALL is "niced" to a
value that will favor other processes in a system. Unfortunately, that
value is hard coded at the moment. If you have root access on the
machine, though, you could "renice" it.

(dolske@cis.ohio-state.edu)
Read the FAQ, steal a quarter, buy a clue.