Re: What is udprelay and how does it work?

Mark G. Scheuern (mgscheue@Oakland.edu)
Mon, 28 Apr 1997 20:28:51 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 28 Apr 1997, Timur Tabi wrote:

> I want to run deschall on my OS/2 machine, but I have a proxy firewall in
> the way. I heard about udprelay, but I don't have access to the machine
> that's running the proxy server, so I can't change it. How does udprelay
> work? Does it interact with the proxy server, or does it bypass it?
> Since I'm running the OS/2 client, will I need an OS/2 version of
> udprelay?

It's a Perl program that interacts with the proxy server. A deschall
client talks UDP to the relay, the relay converts UDP to TCP (in HTTP
form), which then gets out through the proxy to a server that converts
the data back to UDP and sends it on to the deschall server (and the
reverse of this going back). No need to mess directly with the proxy
server. I must say, it's working pretty dang well for me, too, once we
got a few kinks ironed out.

The relay and the client can run on different machines, and the OS need
not be the same. I haven't tried running the udprelay on a non-Unix box
but it seems like it should work.

Mark