Re: [DES-LIST] DESchall (fwd)

Jim Bowden (bowdenj@iquest.net)
Tue, 29 Apr 1997 11:55:00 -0500 (EST)

Well - here's the reverse view on the prior message!

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 1997 15:13:14 +0100
From: Jeremy Bradley <bradley@cs.bris.ac.uk>
To: des-list@towerguard.unix.edu.sollentuna.se
Subject: Re: [DES-LIST] DESchall

> I don't want to sound pessimistic...but...
> I had a look at DESchall's homepage
>
> * They are going twice as fast as DES Challenge.
> * Connectivity to DESchall's site is MUCH better than DES Challenge's.
> * DES Challenge is not considerably growing in key rate. On the contrary, the
> recent network and server problems have kept the rate really low the last 2

They're not twice as fast at all... our av keyrate has superceded their keyrate
for the first time over the weekend... we're only having a few difficulties now...
but they'll clear up as we distribute the attack further.

They have major weeknesses... as people who have been following the DESchall page
have noticed:

1. DESchall only have _1_ keyserver - a 486... I say no more.
2. They're having massive difficulties with their logs exceding the space available.
They've had to estimate many of their stats... which is a sure sign that
they can't cope with the magnitude of the attack
3. They only have just over 3000 machines on the case... we have 15000!

As to keys done... we've been catching up - especially since our massive effort
over the weekend. We used to be at 50% of their keyspace - we're now closer to 75%

We will overtake them either this weekend or possibly next... but we will overtake them.

--Jeremy.