DES Crack outside US

Mikael Brown (satan@iastate.edu)
Tue, 29 Apr 1997 15:03:55 -0500

At 03:15 PM 4/29/97 PDT, Fred wrote:

>perhaps having the key broken by
>a network primarily outside of North America would have a
>greater impact.

I think if the key was broken by world effort outside the US that a greater
impact would be made...but not the impact we want. I wonder if encryption
laws will only increase if a foreign body cracks the code...think of
it...if someone in another nation cracks a national encryption standard do
you think Congress will want to "free-up" exportation laws or "tighten"
their grip on exportation?

How does the rest of the group feel the political situation is?

Prove DES is weak, crack DES! http://www.frii.com/~rcv/deschall.htm

Mikael Brown "Overhead the albatross hangs motionless apon the air..."
satan@iastate.edu
http://www.public.iastate.edu/~satan