Re: After DES

Colin L. Hildinger (colin@ionet.net)
Tue, 29 Apr 97 15:22:06 -0500

On Tue, 29 Apr 1997 15:59:43 -0400 (EDT), guy albertelli wrote:

>> OK, I'm gonna be optimistic and say we'll break DES one day soon.
>> After that, are there plans to attack the next RSA challenge? I don't
>> know a lot about encryption, it's 56-bit as well, would it be harder?
>> Is anyone currently working on it?
>
>There are already people working on the 56-bit RC5 challenge right now.
>I can't remember the site off-hand but I believe it was the Gen-X people?
>
>Also it is harder, testing a single RC5 key is at least 3 times more
>computationally expensive as a DES key (due to the algorithm).
>
>After the 56-bit RC5 it will be a bit before hardware is fast enough to do
>the 64-bit challenge, likely these higher ones will be cracked with brain
>power rather than compute power.

One other thing - by the time 56-bit DES and 56-bit RC5 have cracked
several months from now, CPU's will be somewhat faster. The 64-bit
challenge may be the last one instead of the 56-bit one. Also, if
DESChall keeps going strong and breaks the 56-bit DES, we'll already
have a large base of users for the 56-bit RC5 and 64-bit RC5.

Colin L. Hildinger

Games Editor - OS/2 e-Zine!
http://www.os2ezine.com/

The Ultimate OS/2 Gaming Page