Re: [DES-LIST] DESchall (fwd)

DES Challenge Lists (deslists@dopey.verser.frii.com)
Tue, 29 Apr 1997 14:26:31 -0600

> Subject: Re: [DES-LIST] DESchall (fwd)
>
> On Tue, 29 Apr 1997, Nelson Minar wrote:
>
> > My biggest concern about deschall is that we're North America only.
> > I'd sort of expected that the clients would leak out to the rest of
> > the world and this would be more of an international effort. But I see
> > from the stats that there are no visible participation outside of the
> > US and Canada. That's really a shame.
>
> I am still kinda unsure why we can't export object code. I can understand
> the source... but why the compiled code? Could the algorithm really be
> discovered from the object code... just curious...
>
> Ryan

Ryan:

You ask a good question. The Export Administration Regulations (EAR)
provide a rather broad definition of what constitutes "cryptographic"
software. And then they make a number of exceptions.

It is unclear whether or not DESCHALL fits the broad definition. But
it does not appear to fit any of the exceptions.

If you (or a lawyer-type-person) would like to ask the Commerce Department
for a ruling, we can find out the definitive answer to the question.

Otherwise, anyone who exports the software will have to have a lot
more faith in the US Government's sense of "reasonableness" than I do.

I have said many times, "The only restriction on the redistribution
of the DESCHALL clients are those imposed by the US and/or Canadian
governments."

If you are certain that the US Government is not imposing any
restrictions, then it's a matter between you and your US Attorney. :)

Cheers!

-- Rocke