Re: After DES

Colin L. Hildinger (colin@ionet.net)
Tue, 29 Apr 97 16:01:31 -0500

On Tue, 29 Apr 1997 16:34:15 -0400 (EDT), Andrew Sterian wrote:

>Colin L. Hildinger writes...
>> >
>> >There are already people working on the 56-bit RC5 challenge right now.
>> >I can't remember the site off-hand but I believe it was the Gen-X people?
>
>Gen-X folded, but a new effort started. Check out: http://bovine.st.hmc.edu
>Not that I want you to start on this until DES is cracked.

I've noticed. I've found Bovine.

>BTW, checking the stats, the #1 ranked 2nd level domain for the RC5
>challenge is......umich.edu :-) (clocking in at 11.5 MKeys/sec)
>I guess this is why we're showing up so poorly in DESChall, all of
>our free machines are being hogged by those RC5 people.

Don't they give email addresses? I'd start sending some emails...

>This is when "loosely knit" is a problem IMO. Rather than focusing all
>of UMich's machines on DES, cracking it, then moving on to RC5, we are
>spreading ourselves thin between several different efforts (I've even
>seen Violation clients running, among others). The result is that all of
>the cracking efforts suffer.

Well, as members, we need to organize our efforts. BTW - why is
everyone else having trouble with keyservers keeping up? I guess
they're tracking too many stats?

Colin L. Hildinger

Games Editor - OS/2 e-Zine!
http://www.os2ezine.com/