Fwd: Re: DES Crack outside US

monster (mnster1@ibm.net)
Tue, 29 Apr 97 22:13:26 -0700

>From: "monster" <mnster1@ibm.net>
>To: "Colin L. Hildinger" <colin@ionet.net>
>Date: Tue, 29 Apr 97 22:10:57 -0700

On Tue, 29 Apr 97 15:52:30 -0500, Colin L. Hildinger wrote:

>>>perhaps having the key broken by
>>>a network primarily outside of North America would have a
>>>greater impact.

Oh yeah... it'll have an impact... all the holy roller Internet-is-the-AntiChrist made silicon type would be
screaming to close us off from the foe-ran deevils 'afore they steel all our wimminz an' chillin's vigininty
and sell it on the street corners!

>>I think if the key was broken by world effort outside the US that a greater
>>impact would be made...but not the impact we want. I wonder if encryption
>>laws will only increase if a foreign body cracks the code...think of
>>it...if someone in another nation cracks a national encryption standard do
>>you think Congress will want to "free-up" exportation laws or "tighten"
>>their grip on exportation?

Well, i could be wrong, but from the way i see Slick Willie, the first Totally live ventriloquist dummy
operate, he'll stand up and say that this is obviously not in our countries best interests and ban all further
code cracking activities, and effect an immediate confiscation of all clients. Then just to be on the safe
side... he'll decide that the second ammendment is outdated and dump that too... then he'll think "Gee, if
that silly term law wasn't there, all my adoring voters would probly want me Prez for life..." and repeal that
law, and.....

The mind boggles... :-)

monster

charter member,