Re: CD ROM drive????

Ronald Van Iwaarden (rrt0136@ibm.net)
Wed, 30 Apr 97 16:32:07

On Wed, 30 Apr 1997 13:21:40 -0700, Andrew James Alan Welty wrote:

> I just saw on the main stats page that a CD-ROM drive has
>been purchased for the storage of logs. While it is no money out of
>my pocket, I really have to question this purchase. Would not a 4mm
>DAT drive be more reasonable? It has greater storage and is
>relatively reliable for a much lower $/mb ratio. I know it is not as
>"permanent" as a CD-ROM but, in 10 years, people are going to look
>back upon things such as the DES Challenge with wistfull humor (just
>think of things such as the 386sx at 20mhz!!! (1987ish))
>===
>
>That would be a CDR drive, CD-ROM's aren't recordable. Anyway you

OOps. Of course

>left out that a DAT drive would be faster and easier.

Agreed as well. The only advantage the CDR has IMHO is it's permanence
which is mostly unimportant within the lifespan of the computer industry.

--Ron
o Ronald Van Iwaarden | Work to live;
/\ Hope College | Live to bike;
_`\ `_<=== Holland MI 49423 | Bike to work!
__(_)/_(_)___.-._ voice : (616)355-7120 | http://www.cs.hope.edu/~rvaniwaa/