Re: CD ROM drive????

Ronald Van Iwaarden (rrt0136@ibm.net)
Wed, 30 Apr 97 19:22:39

On Wed, 30 Apr 97 19:00:49 -0400, Rodney R. Korte wrote:

>>>left out that a DAT drive would be faster and easier.
>>
>>Agreed as well. The only advantage the CDR has IMHO is it's permanence
>>which is mostly unimportant within the lifespan of the computer industry.
>
>There is certainly more than one advantage to CDR over DAT (or 8mm,
>whatever) tape:
>
> 1) CDRs are cheaper

Are they? I was under the impression that the media was on the order of
$10 per disk. Since 4gig Dat tapes are at most $20, this would mean a disk
would need to cost around $3 in order to have a similar cost/mb ratio. As
to the actual CDR drive, I cannot speak to.

> 2) CD-ROM drives are cheaper
> 3) CD-ROM drives are everywhere; just about everybody has one

Agreed. However, I cannot imagine there are going to be a large number of
people requesting copies of the logs...

> 4) CD-ROMs offer random access which results in *much* faster
> access to specific data

While not as fast as CD-ROM's, a tape drive can still offer access to
specific files relatively quickly. My old 4 year old SCSI-II Tandberg
drive can access specific files without having to search the whole tape
linearly and newer drives are much faster. Searching to specific points in
a file, now that could be a huge advantage for CD-ROM. But, if the log is
spread over 30 disks, that is also going to be quite a task.

> 5) CD-ROMs are more permanent: both in linear time (as mentioned
> above) but also, for all intents and purposes, completely
> immune to degradation due to use, unlike tapes. Also more
> hardier in harse environments.

No argument here.

>Now maybe we can dispense with grand generalizations and hypotheses
>as to why this media was chosen and what Rocke plans to do with it.

I still am curious as to why this choice was made. I am not at all
critical of the decision but am trying to understand the logic of it. I
still don't see the logs being useful for more than just archival purposes
(after the statistics have been computed)and, even then, I don't know how
many people would really want them.

--Ron
o Ronald Van Iwaarden | Work to live;
/\ Hope College | Live to bike;
_`\ `_<=== Holland MI 49423 | Bike to work!
__(_)/_(_)___.-._ voice : (616)355-7120 | http://www.cs.hope.edu/~rvaniwaa/