Re: Linux (fwd)

Wed, 30 Apr 1997 23:39:20 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 30 Apr 1997, Andrew James Alan Welty wrote:

> Doesn't hurt anything but it will be a little faster just running
> one copy of the client. If there started too close together they'll
> end up with the same keys to check.

Has anyone actually tried this? I'd be somewhat surprised if it was true.

Every time you context switch, there's a big penalry on the processor.
Pipelines clear, caches flush, and alot of state must be saved. Having 4
processes compeeting for CPU time will only make this happen more often. A
good scheduler will reduce the number of context switches when it notices
that only one program is really compeeting for CPU time.

(dolske@cis.ohio-state.edu)
Visualize Whirled Peas.