Re: Linux (fwd)

Joe Phillips (jaiger@ibm.net)
Thu, 01 May 97 00:28:31

On Wed, 30 Apr 1997 23:28:53 -0400, Corbett J. Klempay wrote:

>At 10:22 PM 4/30/97 -0400, ITS ME DAMN IT wrote:

The ONLY motivation I could see for doing this on a single processor
machine, other than for experimentation, would be to be able to
claim more than one key block at a time.

since each client would run slower, and the size of the key block
searched is determined by time to search it, the number of total
keys checked out by a given machine would be roughly the same
(assuming little or no penalty for context switching) but
spread out evenly across all clients. The end result would
at best be a bunch of smaller key blocks that are likely
to be discontiguous.

given that context switching takes up time, and is said to be
relatively expensive, I'd say the more clients you run, the
fewer total keys your machine will check in a second. your
best bet (statistically) would seem to be going with one client
per processor.

Does this sound right?

I'm only coming from the angle of how an OS/2 client would work in
this situation, unix will probably be at least a little different.
I am not familiar with 'nice', so maybe running multiple, unix
clients with nice would work differently.

In any case, the big difference will most likely be searching
multiple keyspaces at once (but most likely slower and in
smaller chunks.)

I'll have to boot linux now and check out the nice man pages...

l8r,

joe phillips
jaiger@ibm.net