Re: Newbie Questions...

Benjamin L. Peterson (bpeters2@nd.edu)
Thu, 1 May 1997 04:53:01 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 1 May 1997, Starling wrote:

>4) What's the best way to keep track of your logs on a unix machine?
> Since the client doesn't close the file until the client exits,
> I presume that you can't mail the output unless you exit the client
> occasionally, right?

deschall keymaster.verser.frii.com | tee -a deschall.output &
set desPID=$!

When you want to email the entire output file:
kill -STOP $desPID
echo "" >> deschall.output
cat deschall.output | mail -s "output as of `date`" <your_user_name>
kill -CONT $desPID

I don't believe you can do anything but add to the output file while the
program is running or you loose any further data. To begin a new output
file I think you need to completely kill deschall first, move/delete the
file, and restart deschall anew afterward.

Some of the other DES Challenge groups have added the feature to their
clients that a kill -SIGHUP will cause the client to finish its current
block of keys and then exit. Any chance we could get that feature?

-Ben

/* Benjamin Peterson   Computer Science Senior,  University of Notre Dame */
/* E-mail Benjamin.L.Peterson.35@nd.edu  or  bpeters2@plato.helios.nd.edu */