Re: Export laws revisited

Corey Betka (betka@tvd0074.urh.uiuc.edu)
Thu, 1 May 1997 10:54:38 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 1 May 1997, Jeff Simmons wrote:

> > >But many people have been visited by men in trenchcoats
> > >and mirrored sunglasses and told that they'd BETTER take that crypto
> > >software off their ftp sites, or Uncle Sam will be VERY pissed off.
> >
> > They have?
> >
> > I agree with everything you've said. I've just never heard of visits
> > by MIB before.
>
> The most famous, and widely reported, was the university (don't have the
> name on the tip of my tongue right now) that developed Mosaic, the first
> true web browser. They got a visit because one of their upgrades had
> hooks for PGP services. No actual crypto code, just hooks.

Not hard to find the name of the university that developed Mosaic,
just look at the top of the DESchal stats! Thats right The University of
Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. As for MIB visits, it's kinda hard not to
notice them on this campus, with an NCSA branch here.

> Or talk to Netscape, who took over a year to satisfy the US requirements
> for a 'secure' download site, so that they could give US citizens 128 bit
> encryption capabilities in their various products.

Hmm, netscape is owned by Marc Andressen, right? Another U of I
grad and former NCSA employee, maybe they are holding a grudge?

This is all off topic, so I will end here.

Corey

"Takes two to make three, but one ain't here
Still chasing women and drinking beer."
--"Welfare Music" by The Bottle Rockets