Re: Status report and 0.9 years

TC Lai (tclai@protos.lifesci.ucla.edu)
Thu, 1 May 1997 14:55:10 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 1 May 1997, Ethan M. O'Connor wrote:

> At 07:25 AM 5/1/97, Ronald Van Iwaarden wrote:
> >
> >I have been watching the status report for the last five of days and
> >we have been sitting at about 0.9 years with around 107409238392832
> >keys per day. This has been true in spite of the number of machines
> >increasing by at least 25% (who knows how many machines are behind
> >some of the gateways) over the last five days. Any guesses as to why
> >our key rate is not around 135000000000000 keys per day? Lots of
> >really slow machines joining in?

Not only that, but dialup users on dynamic addressing get counted as
separate clients each time they dial in to grab a keyblock. UCLA
currently is listed as having 60+ clients, but I suspect that my gateway
machine (on PPP) is responsible for 20-30 of those IP addresses (any UCLA
people care to comment?)

If you look at the UCLA stats, the number of clients jumps after day 61,
when I got my Mac clients and started running them. This would of course,
dilute the average number of keys, and if there really aren't that many
*new* machines joining in, would account for why our total key rate isn't
increasing in accordance.

TC