Re: Export laws revisited

Michael J Gebis (gebis@ecn.purdue.edu)
Thu, 1 May 1997 21:14:05 -0500 (EST)

You wrote:
> The most famous, and widely reported, was the university (don't have the
> name on the tip of my tongue right now) that developed Mosaic, the first
> true web browser. They got a visit because one of their upgrades had
> hooks for PGP services. No actual crypto code, just hooks.
>
> Or talk to Netscape, who took over a year to satisfy the US requirements
> for a 'secure' download site, so that they could give US citizens 128 bit
> encryption capabilities in their various products.

As someone else already mentioned, Mosaic was developed at the
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (UIUC). More
specifically, it was developed at the UIUC supercomputing site, The
National Center for Supercomputing Applications (NCSA) in the Software
Development Group (SDG) (which was strangely enough located in the Oil
Chemistry Building (OCB)). Notice that NCSA is funded by the National
Science Foundations (NSF) which is funded by the United States (US)
Goverment. For this reason, it's not clear that the government would
have the same problem (or authority) to complain to a private entity.
Perhaps they just wanted to make sure they weren't _funding_ such
efforts. (OK, so it's doubtful they are really thinking this
way--it's just that this example doesn't show this)

BTW, you should clue into the fact ASAP that I lived in Acronym Hell
(AH) for four years of my life. :)

--
Mike Gebis  gebis@ecn.purdue.edu  mgebis@eternal.net