Re: Newbie Questions...

Stephen Langasek (vorlon@dodds.net)
Fri, 2 May 1997 00:27:06 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 1 May 1997, Starling wrote:

> 1) Would it be possible to make linux boot disks that boot a machine and
> load the necesary stuff into a RAM disk so that the machine would
> automatically run the client until a given time and then reboot?
> If so, I might be able to comandeer a computer lab full of P200s.

It's possible, yes. I don't know that anyone has done it yet... I don't
want to be the first, 'cause, well, I'm incredibly lazy, but I suppose if
no one else is volunteering, I'll do it eventually. (After finals. ;) I
don't know if it's possible to get a kernel on bootdisk that has support
for all the ethernet accessories it would need in order to be
multipurpose.. Might have to be a set of 2 bootdisks. We'll see at some
point, I suppose. :)

> 2) Lets say your machine takes 30 minutes to run 2^28 key pairs, however
> this is a dialup machine. Lets say you only want to dial up once every
> 12 hours. Would it be possible to run 24 instances of the linux
> client, thereby grabbing off 24 key sequence hunks (or whatever
> they're called) and then have it complete all 24 in time for the dialup?
> To be on the safe side, you might want to run 23 to make sure that the
> context switching didn't eat into your time and throw everything out
> of whack. I was thinking of doing this on a smaller scale (like
> running 2 or 4 at a time), rather than dialing in every 30 minutes
> This would be to get around an idle-timeout disconnect "feature" on
> our dialup without having to hog the dialup.

> Or is there some way I can get my client to grab a larger number of
> keys to try?

There's no advantage to running multiple clients, because (someone correct
me if I've interpreted wrong) the client has been written around a target
time per keyblock. Hence, running multiple clients means each individual
client will simply grab a smaller chunk to compensate--and you end up
still having to dial up every hour. :) The idea of a client with an
adjustable turnover rate has certainly been tossed about, though I'm not
in a position to know whether or not it's being seriously considered for
implementation at this point.

-Stephen Langasek

Help break DES today!
http://friley72.res.iastate.edu/des/deschall.html