Re: Our lead over SolNet...?

Fri, 2 May 1997 20:27:28 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 2 May 1997, Ethan M. O'Connor wrote:

> How is SolNet managing
> 2GKeys/sec with only 4000 hosts reporting
> for that time period (7:00pm EDT today)?

Multiprocessor systems? Who knows. It's also hard to compare numbers
between the two efforts. They appear to have server problems, which
creates huge peaks after the server burps. Also, not averaging out the
number for a 24 hour period allows for somewhat higher numbers.

> We are unlikely to find the key in that time period :)

That's around 2% of the keyspace, so we've got a 2% chance.

> So let's recruit like crazy this weekend, and get those
> 2GKey/sec 64bit bitslice clients out!

You're not going to see any 2Gkey/sec clients anytime soon...
Not unless we figure out how to steal SolNet's work, and count them as a
single client. ;-)

(dolske@cis.ohio-state.edu)
Perl is designed to give you several ways to do anything, so consider
picking the most readable one.
-- Larry Wall in the Perl man page