Re: Re-evaluation of what is happing at rest

Sat, 3 May 1997 14:56:48 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 3 May 1997, Mikael Brown wrote:

> >I see similar results:
> > idle 2^30 keys ~2700
> > emacs/netscape 2^30 keys ~2200

I just poked through the code. Unless time() is lying, the numbers should
be correct. We just call time() right before and right after testing the
key block, and subtract the two. Has anyone actually timed the clients
with an external clock (eg, stopwatch), to see if it's truely speeding up?

> (2) When I'm useing Telnet my computer registers activity, so it doesn't
> power down, slow the CPU, or start any screen savers...It keeps everything
> going full power - but the telnet program uses near zippo CPU.....leaving
> it all to crunch keys.

That would be my best guess. For those experiencing these weird speedups,
try turning *off* the "Green Features" in your system setup. I wouldn't
be surprised if they notice that the keyboard and mouse are idle, and slow
down the CPU.

(dolske@cis.ohio-state.edu)
1 + 1 = 3, for large enough values of 1.