Re: Irix performance

Christopher Dickens (cdickens@ntr.net)
Sun, 4 May 1997 12:02:35 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 4 May 1997, Mark G. Scheuern wrote:

> Adding a bit to what I said earlier, I'm getting about 480 Kkeys/s on a
> 250 MHz R4400 running Irix 6.2, and 820 Kkeys/s on an R10000, also
> running 6.2. I'm wondering if the much worse performance on the 5.3 box
> (~180 Kkeys/s) is because of the OS or because it only has a 1 MB L2
> cache, vs. 2 MB on the 4400 running 6.2 (plus a little extra for 250 vs
> 200 MHz).

Just guessing, but I'd say it's PRIMARILY from the OS revision. The 6.2
code is backward compatible but was still compiled with intentions of
running on systems using more advanced features I guess.

If anyone knows for sure, feel free to correct me..

CRACK DES NOW!!! http://www.frii.com/~rcv/deschall.htm
Christopher Dickens - cdickens@ntr.net - SGI O2 Powered!!!
<http://www.ntr.net/~cdickens>
Copyright (c) 1997 by Christopher Dickens. All Rights Reserved.

NOTE: Everything disclosed is the sole opinion of Christopher Dickens
and in no way reflects the views or opinions, either in whole
or part, of NTR.NET Corporation or any of it's affiliates.