Re: MacOS Client

Mike Alexander (mta@umich.edu)
Sun, 4 May 1997 19:35:53 -0400

At 6:13 PM -0400 5/4/97, andrew meggs wrote:
>You can run the current client with no preference file, and it'll ask for
>a command line and where to send output. Currently, those are the only two
>things that can be put into the pref file.

At least on my machine (a PowerTower Pro 200 running 7.6.1) it immediately
crashes if you try to set either the input or output to a file. It seems
to wander off into the weeds and eventually executes an illegal instruction
in the system heap. I can send a MacsBug log if anyone is interested.

>As a future direction for the MacOS client, how many people would be
>interested in a faceless background app that wrote only to a file and
>didn't open any windows or appear in the applications menu? Just drop it in
>your startup items folder and forget about it...

That seems like a good idea to me.

Mike Alexander Internet: mta@umich.edu
+1-313-663-1759 Fax: +1-313-327-0567