DESCHALL runs wild when run under nohup?

Lee Sheridan (lsherida@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us)
Mon, 5 May 1997 14:10:09 -0400 (EDT)

Recently I have been running the DESCHALL client on the SPARC-1000 of my
ISP (Baltimore County Public Library, who offers UNIX shell accounts) late
at night. Because BCPL has a limit of 3 hours for any connection to the
network, I haven't been able to "squeeze" the full potential out of my
0-0700 timeframe when I would like to run the client. Last night I
decided to check and see if DESCHALL would run correctly under nohup. I
became distracted doing something else, and I thought that I had stopped
DESCHALL, but apparently I didn't. This morning I received this note from
the system administrator:

> FYI:
>
> When I came in this morning I found the UNIX host running very slowly.
> The culprit was your proccess "deschall-sparc keymaster.verser.frii.com",
> which had been running since 11:40 PM Sunday. When I discovered it, it
> had used a tremendous amount of processor time and was still growing
> rapidly. I killed it off at about 8:35 AM.

Of course, DESCHALL is *supposed* to use a `tremendous amount of processor
time'. What I was concerned about was the fact that he mentioned that the
amount of processor time was `growing rapidly', especially since the
machine gets busy around that time of the morning and the client should be
using LESS CPU time...

Has anyone else experienced this problem with the SPARC client? Is it
related to the fact that I used `nohup'? I checked out the FAQ, looked
through 1.7M of mailing list archives (for nohup info) and didn't find out
anything useful.

I promised the sysadmin that I would not run the program any longer on
the SPARC (at least, until I figure out what went wrong), though I have to
admit I was more smiling and thinking `think of how many keys were
crunched!' <g>

TIA,

-Lee

http://www.bcpl.lib.md.us/~lsherida/