Re: What is out Computering power?

Mon, 5 May 1997 14:18:40 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 5 May 1997, Bret Stastny wrote:

> Does someone know how to compute what our virtual super computer
> processing power is?

Rough guesstimate:

Someone posted that bitslice can do 64 encryptions in 16,000 instructions,
so assume each DES key test takes 250 instructions. So, our 2 billion keys
per second work out to be around 500 billions instructions per second (ie,
500,000 MIPS).

We don't really compare with FLOPS, though, since we don't do floating
point operations. If there was a way to convert between the two, it would
result in a much lower FLOPS rating.

FWIW, it's not that hard to out perform some supercomputers on plain
integer instructions. It's the specialized hardware for special processing
(eg, vector processing) and tremendous memory bandwidth that's hard to
beat. :-)

(dolske@cis.ohio-state.edu)
| SPAM glistens pinkly;
Spam Haiku... | Cat taps it with wary paw