Re: DESCHALL runs wild when run under nohup?

Rodney R. Korte (rrk102@psu.edu)
Mon, 05 May 97 14:29:24 -0400

On Mon, 5 May 1997 14:10:09 -0400 (EDT), Lee Sheridan wrote:

[...]

>Of course, DESCHALL is *supposed* to use a `tremendous amount of processor
>time'. What I was concerned about was the fact that he mentioned that the
>amount of processor time was `growing rapidly', especially since the
>machine gets busy around that time of the morning and the client should be
>using LESS CPU time...

It is quite unlikely that anything went wrong at all. The term
"getting busy" can mean a lot of things. To most people, it means
that someone logged into the machine and is checking their email.
Even more informed people really don't have a good understanding
of when their machine is "getting busy". DESCHAL needs virtually
no other resources other than CPU cycles. For almost any other
task that computers do these days, this is just not true- programs
wait on disk access, wait for user input, wait for network resources,
etc., etc., all of which leave the CPU to do other things. You
guessed it- usually these free cycles go unused. Even when many
users are logged in and "doing things", a machine's CPU can be very
under-utilized.

Along comes DESCHAL (or any other CPU intensive job). It uses
these unused cycles.

My best advice is to suggest to BCPL that they find a competent
system administrator. At least this one didn't mention that
s/he was worried about the CPU being broken from overuse. :-)
(That story killed me!)

Rod

--
Rodney R. Korte                   OS/2. Operate at a higher level.
korte@sabine.acs.psu.edu    ---> MIME, PGP (finger for key) welcome.

Crack DES NOW! http://www.frii.com/~rcv/deschall.htm