Re: What is out Computering power?

noggle@isoc.net
Tue, 06 May 1997 03:53:01 GMT

On Mon, 5 May 1997 17:25:08 -0400, you wrote:

>>The teraflop computer uses 4800 nodes, each of which has two
>>Pentium Pro 200 procs. I think we've already done the math to
>>find out how many keys it could do.
>
>My PPro 200 is doing 2^30 complementary pairs in 2240 seconds. That
>works out to 950 kkeys/second. deschall as a whole just passed
>2,000,000 kkeys/second. So that means we have the computing power of
>roughly 2100 PPro 200s right now. A bit more than 1/5 of the
>megamachine Intel is building.

Not to be offensive, but this rocks! My P200 (not pro) is doing 2^30
complimentary pairs in around 2048 seconds! I bet you guys are gonna say, how
did he do that! The answer is lying on sysdoc.pair.com.... I've got the Asus
P/I-P55T2P4 board, and I'm running it at 83MHz x 2.5 clock multiplier. It just
goes to show that a little tweaking of your hardware can increase your k/s rate,
sometimes largely. Of course I'm not taking into account that the number above
could be on a system with other stuff running, so... nelson@media.mit.edu was
that number on a bare system?

Jason Gmoser
noggle@isoc.net