Re: Hurricane

Colin L. Hildinger (colin@ionet.net)
Mon, 05 May 97 23:01:32 -0500

On Mon, 5 May 1997 22:19:23 -0500, Michael R. McClelland wrote:

>Don't get me wrong. I have no intention of using my system less. Intel
>guarantees their processors for life and I didn't buy the damn computer to
>filter air.

This made me laugh out loud _really_ hard. Joe Blow wouldn't get it,
but on this list I'm sure it drew a lot of laughter.

>I'm more familiar with high power circuits than chip wiring but
>the concept of current(electrons) eroding wire never occurred to me. I'm
>familiar with wire heating up and melting from too much current, but
>erosion? The article wasn't very clear on the conditions necessary for
>this to occur, but what was described didn't sound like "normal" conditions
>in an I.C. Did they just find a new way to describe how a fuse works?

This can be a problem with semi-conductors. If you know how
semiconductors work (I'm an aero engineer, but we have to take the same
modern physics class as EE's here at OSU), it will make sense to you.
Atoms can migrate through the matrix, but it's a slow process (through
some probability calcs in here). On an Intel chip running full out it
would take YEARS to have an effect, and they would have to replace it.

Colin L. Hildinger

Games Editor - OS/2 e-Zine!
http://www.os2ezine.com/

The Ultimate OS/2 Gaming Page