Re: What is out Computering power?

Colin L. Hildinger (colin@ionet.net)
Tue, 06 May 97 00:01:37 -0500

On Tue, 06 May 1997 03:53:01 GMT, noggle@isoc.net wrote:

>On Mon, 5 May 1997 17:25:08 -0400, you wrote:
>
>>>The teraflop computer uses 4800 nodes, each of which has two
>>>Pentium Pro 200 procs. I think we've already done the math to
>>>find out how many keys it could do.
>>
>>My PPro 200 is doing 2^30 complementary pairs in 2240 seconds. That
>>works out to 950 kkeys/second. deschall as a whole just passed
>>2,000,000 kkeys/second. So that means we have the computing power of
>>roughly 2100 PPro 200s right now. A bit more than 1/5 of the
>>megamachine Intel is building.
>
>Not to be offensive, but this rocks! My P200 (not pro) is doing 2^30
>complimentary pairs in around 2048 seconds! I bet you guys are gonna say, how
>did he do that! The answer is lying on sysdoc.pair.com.... I've got the Asus
>P/I-P55T2P4 board, and I'm running it at 83MHz x 2.5 clock multiplier. It just
>goes to show that a little tweaking of your hardware can increase your k/s rate,
>sometimes largely. Of course I'm not taking into account that the number above
>could be on a system with other stuff running, so... nelson@media.mit.edu was
>that number on a bare system?

Well, actually, you have a P208, not a P200 at that point, but yes, a
Pentium is faster than a PPro at DESCHALL.

Everyone should, however, take a look at sysdoc.pair.com and look at
tweaking your systems, especially at overclocking your CPU's. Most of
us can overclock at least a notch, and if you have a newer MB, you can
probably go up to a higher bus speed (like 75 or 83 MHz). I mean, even
if you have a P150, running it at 2 x 75 is faster than 2.5 x 66,
unless your memory is just too slow.

Colin L. Hildinger

Games Editor - OS/2 e-Zine!
http://www.os2ezine.com/