Re: Deshall creating an Electron Hurricane in my Processor!!!

Colin L. Hildinger (colin@ionet.net)
Tue, 06 May 97 00:43:20 -0500

On Tue, 6 May 1997 00:09:31 -0500 (EST), Michael J Gebis wrote:

>In another message in this thread, someone mentioned that processors
>are always doing something and don't stop. This is not strictly true.
>Under some OSes (namely those out of the Seattle area) the processor
>is always polling for IO or NOP'ing or whatever. Under other OS'es
>(namely those that end in NIX) when there's nothing to be done, the
>processor is halted. A processor is then woken up by an interupt (usually
>when an IO device finally finishes doing its thing). This does
>change things like power consumption and heat generation--running
>deschall could theoretically cause heat problems in a borderline
>system.

2 things will cause problems on my system on really hot days if the A/C
gets behind and the room gets warm (my computer's in a poorly
ventilated corner):

1) Quake ;-)
2) Deschall

Both run the CPU flat out. Otherwise, it runs fine. I currently have
a box fan that I can turn on if the room's warm and haven't had a crash
since I aimed it at the computer.

Colin L. Hildinger

Games Editor - OS/2 e-Zine!
http://www.os2ezine.com/