Re: What is out Computering power?

Nathan D. T. Boyd (boydn@graphics.lcs.mit.edu)
Tue, 06 May 1997 03:19:21 -0400

Colin L. Hildinger wrote:

> On Tue, 06 May 1997 01:12:11 -0400, Nathan D. T. Boyd wrote:
> >I have a dual Pentium Pro 200 system. During the day, I leave one
> >deschal6 process running, and it usually takes 2280-2290 seconds to do
> >2^30 keys (niceness '1' -- I can't even tell it's running).
>
> What happens when you run 2 processes w/ appropriate nice settings? It
> should still not give you a performance hit.

Again, I mostly cannot notice them. However, when I start to do a lot
of very, very CPU-intensive stuff -- which happens often -- then I
notice a slight performance hit. So I generally stick to only one
instance.

--
Nate Boyd                        MIT Computer Graphics Group, NE43-249
mailto:boydn@graphics.lcs.mit.edu                   617.258.5090 [tel]