Re: Nice Level

Nathan D. T. Boyd (boydn@graphics.lcs.mit.edu)
Tue, 06 May 1997 14:15:39 -0400

Nelson Minar wrote:

> (btw, anyone understand WinNT scheduling well enough to explain to me
> why deschall steals so much CPU from the screen saver? The starfield
> screensaver has really jerky animation. Is WinNT scheduling really
> that bad, or is this some sort of feature? It's not like the
> screensaver should be taking up much CPU time.)

NT's scheduler is broken, but I think the problem here is more likely
that the screensaver is running at a very lower priority level -- so low
that deschall gets priority. I never use screensavers, personally, just
put it on "Blank Screen".

--
Nate Boyd                        MIT Computer Graphics Group, NE43-249
mailto:boydn@graphics.lcs.mit.edu                   617.258.5090 [tel]